As the weather begins to shift and we prepare to enter flu season, it’s important to do everything you can to boost your immunity. And while genetics do play a role in determining the strength of your immune system, your lifestyle choices can directly impact your ability to ward off the common cold and other diseases.
At Omnia, we believe achieving optimal health comes from a commitment to healthy habits. So forget about the trends and take note of these helpful tips for staying well.
Prioritize Your Sleep
Never underestimate the importance of staying well rested. Getting a good night’s sleep on a regular basis is essential for maintaining a strong immune system. In an ideal world, you should be getting between 7 to 9 hours of restful sleep each night. While you are dreaming, your body is busy repairing and regenerating, allowing your immune system to release proteins called cytokines that help fight infection and inflammation.
In addition to building up your immune system, getting the proper amount of sleep helps increase your happiness and longevity. Those who do not get enough sleep are more likely to face issues of obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and more. It’s clear that when it comes to your immunity and overall health, making time for bedtime is definitely worthwhile.
Eat A Balanced Diet
Maintaining a balanced and nutrition-filled diet is crucial for strengthening your immune system. In order to ensure your body has everything it needs to function properly it needs the proper amount of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. The best way to do this is by:
- Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables: These are rich in vitamins, such as vitamin C and vitamin A, which are essential for immune function. Citrus fruits, berries, and leafy greens are excellent choices.
- Incorporating lean proteins: Include sources like lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, and tofu in your diet. These types of protein are crucial for the production of antibodies and immune system cells.
- Opting for whole grains: Whole grains like brown rice and quinoa are great sources of fiber and essential nutrients that support overall health; including immune function.
- Incorporating probiotics: Fermented foods like yogurt, kefir, and kimchi contain beneficial bacteria that can enhance gut health, which is closely linked to a high functioning immune system.
Make Time To Exercise
Exercising on a regular basis helps promote good circulation, reduces inflammation, and supports the maintenance of a strong immune system. You should aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise per week in order to reap the immune-boosting benefits. This includes physical activities like brisk walking, jogging, or cycling. Additionally, exercising releases endorphins while promoting positive changes in the brain including neural growth and new activity patterns that energize your spirits and immunity.
Focus On Alleviating Stress
We recognize how easy it is to be overwhelmed by life’s daily responsibilities and unexpected challenges. That being said, it’s important for you to do your best to worry less. Did you know that high stress levels trigger the release of a hormone called cortisol that can suppress immune responses? If you want to improve your health,you need to start by focusing on the things you can control. Some effective ways to reduce your stress levels include:
- Finding Balance: This can be tricky but is extremely important for your physical and mental health. Prioritize finding a work-life balance and make time for activities that bring you a sense of joy and calm.
- Relaxation Techniques: Deep breathing exercises, meditation and yoga can all help lower stress levels. You may also want to try painting or listening to relaxing music. All of these things can help you to feel more at ease and promote overall well being.
- Seeking Support: Having family, friends, or a therapist you can talk to during stressful times is a game changer. Knowing you have a trusted, dependable and honest sounding board to listen or provide valuable emotional support is something everyone needs.
Stay Properly Hydrated
Hydration is crucial for your immune system and overall health. Drinking enough water helps bring balance to the body and takes care of important everyday functions, such as regulating body temperature, lubricating joints, as well as flushing out toxins and waste. Seeing as we are made of 60 percent water, it should come as no surprise that if we are dehydrated, the whole system of immunity could potentially break down.
Better Lifestyle Choices = Better Immunity
You know that a strong immune system is crucial for avoiding getting sick. And now after reading this blog, you know that developing healthy lifestyle habits such as good sleep, proper nutrition, regular exercise, minimized stress and proper hydration all contribute to the optimization of your well being.
At Omnia Health, we emphasize the importance of consistent, long-term efforts to our patients all the time. When you are feeling overwhelmed or discouraged, just remember that you are worth it! You deserve to live your healthiest, happiest life — you AND your loved ones will be better off as a result.
Schedule your consultation today to enhance your immunity and so much more.