Strange Summer Health Update From Dr. Jacqui
A Message From Doctor Jacqui Pariset – August 2020
By Dr. Jacqui Pariset, Founder, Omnia Health in Denver, Colorado
As we approach the end of a strange summer, we head towards fall with a lot of uncertainty. It is hard, at least for me, to have this uncertainty in my life. Between not knowing what will happen with school – online, hybrid, and what the intersection of COVID and the usual fall/winter illnesses will bring, it is difficult.
What helps me during these times is to take control of what I can control – namely my health! This includes mental health as well – my mindset, attitude and connections.
3 HEALTHY TIPS FOR STRESSFUL TIMES
Start by going back to the three main foundations of health.
• Are you getting all the good stuff in? Focus on those immune-system building veggies, veggies and more veggies; 4-5+cups a day.
• High quality proteins – grass-fed, organic and clean.
• Good fats are the key to keeping our blood sugars stable and starve off sugar cravings. At least 1 serving with every meal. Serving size – about 2 ‘thumbs’ worth (1/2 avocado or 2 tablespoons of olive oil).
• Enjoy the amazing late summer fruits; remember only 1 cup daily if you have metabolic issues.
• Drink 1/2 your body weight in oz of water a day? Get it flowing!
Remember – it isn’t about perfection, but about having a strong foundation in nutrition to feed your body (and mind) everything you need.
This is the most overlooked and unappreciated foundation of health. Sleep is SOOO important. We say it over and over all day long!
• First get enough sleep – 8hrs should be the baseline.
• Try to get in bed by 10ish most nights.
• Having a consistent bedtime (yes even most weekends) is important; especially if you struggle with sleep. Swinging your bedtime on the weekends creates ‘social jet-lag syndrome’ and makes those Monday mornings pretty rough. If you have troubles falling asleep or staying asleep – get your sleep habits nailed down.
• Devices off at least 1 hour before bedtime, a dark cool room, a consistent bedtime, no food 1-2hrs before bed and an evening meditation can all play a helpful role.
And call us! We are here to help with these issues – they should not be overlooked.
Still the best natural anti-depressant, mood stabilizing, anxiety reducing solution there is!
• Get moving, every day. A recent study showed people who took 8,000 steps a day had a 50% lower risk of dying compared with those who took only 4,000 steps a day. People who took over 12,000 steps a day had a 65% lower risk of dying! There is NO pill that does that.
• More steps also equates to lower rates of death from heart disease and cancer. If you have fallen off your exercise routine – just start with walking. Get those steps in – it counts! This pandemic has accentuated the unfortunate truth that as a country, we are not healthy.
Our rates of obesity, heart disease, cancer, metabolic issues are horrible – and only getting worse. We need to realize that WE are responsible for our own health and wellness. We control what we eat, how we move and if we make sleep a priority. I know you agree with me – that is why you work with us at Omnia Health.
“So let’s go back to the basics. How are you with everything? What do you need and how can we help?”
If you are struggling with sleep issues consider working with Lisa Marini, our amazing brain coach, on meditations, reducing anxiety and strategies to decrease that nighttime cortisol response.
Are you struggling with nutrition and need an accountability partner? Katie Ozimek is here for you – she is a great resource on how to get back on track, set goals and move forward in a positive way.
I appreciate all of you working with us at Omnia Health. I know you take your health seriously and work hard towards making health a top priority in your life. We are on this journey with you! I appreciate all of the referrals and support we have received from our amazing patients!
If you know of anyone who would benefit from our comprehensive approach to chronic illness – and could use a little help to create wellness in their life, please share our information.
We offer a free 15-minute consultation with our Nurse Practitioner, Gia McCloskey-Jurevich, NP to see if we are a good match for future patients.
One last suggestion! Pick up the phone – don’t text – and call your friend, your sister, your brother – your mom or dad. Call that person you have been meaning to; take a few minutes and connect with those you love.
We are all in this together.
Jacqui and the Omnia Team
Omnia Health Treats These Issues With a Functional Medicine Approach:
“Even as a very young child, I had chronic IBS. Childhood memories include frequent stomach aches and gulping down Mylanta. Then I began having debilitating migraines. This personal experience has led me to functional medicine….”